NAVIGATION MARKER, OBELISK OR CAIRN OVERLOOKING JERVOISE BAY
Channel Marker and Trigonometric Beacon, Woodman Point is a rare example of a limestone obelisk navigational marker along the coast of Western Australia. (Heritage Council of WA) The Obelisk, shipping marker or Cairn was built during a detailed survey of Cockburn Sound and Gage Roads was undertaken by Staff Commander Archdeacon and Staff Commander J. E. Coghlan of the Royal Navy between 1872 and 1874. The Channel Marker and Trigonometric Beacon was constructed as a trig point for the survey, as it is believed, as was the obelisk on Buckland Hill. The Channel Marker and Trigonometric Beacon, may have been constructed with convict labour, although no record of the construction of either obelisk has been found to date. The Obelisk, shipping marker or Cairn is located approximately two kilometers south east of the former Woodman Point Quarantine Station on a land feature that is commonly called the Spearwood Ridge, and was used by vessels as a Channel Marker for those accessing Cockburn Sound by way of Challenger Passage, that is located between the north end of Garden island and Carnac Island. The Channel Marker and Trigonometric Beacon has been used for all forms of navigation until the Woodman Point lighthouse was constructed in 1902.
|Photographs by Earle Seubert|