Carnac Island Quarantine Station - Woodman Point Quarantine Station

Go to content

Main menu:

Carnac Island Quarantine Station

HISTORY
Quarantine Flag
CARNAC ISLAND
QUARANTINE STATION
Lima Flag

Carnac Island Quarantine Camp c 1890's

Landing supplies on Carnac Island c1897

Health Officer's Steam Launch 'WARATAH' anchored off Carnac Island late c1890's

Carnac Island Quarantine Station late 1890's
Seagulls
It is recorded that the first persons to use Carnac Island for quarantine isolation were 226 civilians and military personnel from the vessel "Anna Robertson" suffering from Whooping Cough. This group would later be all transferred from Carnac island to the beach at Woodman Point because of fresh water contamination and housed in tents on the beach. The fresh water was originally being transported to Carnac island from Fremantle in wine casks. It is assumed that these persons would be the first to use the designated area at Woodman Point specifically for quarantine purposes.
The first official Caretaker on Carnac Island was a Mr Hillman who was accompanied on the Island with his wife, but resigned this position in October 1899 to leave for South Australia. He was replaced by Mr O. Williams who arrived on the island on Thursday 5th October 1899 to occupy the position as official Caretaker.
The image shown above, depicting landing supplies from a Government launch for the quarantine camp on Carnac Island in 1897, is possibly passengers from the SS Bulimba during a Smallpox scare on that vessel.
Carnac island in Cockburn Sound Western Australia
Compiled by Earle Seubert
 
Back to content | Back to main menu